HSBC would be a real alphabet soup if the company's name reflected its geographic diversity. One of the world's largest banking groups by assets, HSBC Holdings owns subsidiaries throughout Europe, Hong Kong and the rest of the Asia/Pacific region, the Middle East and Africa, and the Americas. All told, the company has some 7,500 locations in more than 80 countries. Its activities include consumer and commercial banking, credit cards, private banking, investment banking, and leasing. Its North American operations comprise HSBC USA, HSBC Bank Canada, HSBC Bank Bermuda, and Grupo Financiero HSBC in Mexico.
Head of Financial Reporting – MENAT
Head of Financial Reporting – MENAT (ID: 0000HKI2)
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you’re looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Based in Dubai, this is a Finance leadership role with exposure to senior management (UAE, Region and Group) and multiple internal and external stakeholders (including the Regional CFO/CRO, lines of business, ALCM, Risk, Regulators and External Auditor). Financial reporting is critical in meeting HSBC’s obligations towards its stakeholders (shareholders, investors, regulators, rating agencies etc.) in a complex and demanding external environment. As a result, high standard and accurate reporting is a strategic and regulatory priority with ever increasing expectations.
In this role, you will:
The job holder will be responsible for:
• consolidation and submission of HBME Financial Reporting to HSBC Group;
• externally published accounts of HBME and submission to the HBME Board;
• meet new accounting, disclosure and regulatory reporting requirements and implement system changes;
• accounting and financial reporting requirements and control activities for HMEH (Group’s principal subsidiary for MENAT)
• Oversight of the MENAT accounting and financial reporting process.
• Preparation and submission of Board papers relating to accounting and reporting matters.
This role will require significant interaction within Global Financial Reporting, Global Finance Operations and the local country finance teams in MENAT. This role will also require interaction with other functions within the MENAT Region to drive improvements in data quality provided by these functions for financial reporting.
• To provide support to the MENAT region in all aspects of accounting and financial reporting.
• To provide support to external auditors in their quarterly reviews and annual external audit of HBME.
• Assisting with the detailed analytical review of submitted data to improve and enhance data quality, accuracy and relevance.
• Work closely with the other Finance teams within the MENAT and HSBC Group to ensure successful delivery of the Finance related projects and initiatives.
Customers / Stakeholders
• HGHQ: Monthly reporting of Saracen reporting and manual returns, FINREP/GSIB reporting
• HBME AuCom / Board – Interim & Annual ARA and other accounting and reporting related Board papers
• MENAT Region / Global Finance Operations – Close work required with country Finance teams / Global Finance Operations and Regional functional teams.
• Wider senior management in HSBC Holdings plc and Finance Operations as and when required.
Leadership & Teamwork
• Fulfil a role as “playing coach”, meaning that the role is both active hands-on task driven as well as providing guidance and development to the small team.
• Exhibit and drive a growth mind-set throughout the team, taking on new challenges to meet Finance’s overall objectives.
• Drive cohesion and deliver initiatives across Finance/the Bank
• Prioritise learning and development in order to build a sustainable team, develop a clear successor and position the team for future challenges.
• Ensure optimum utilization of the resources.
• Strong interpersonal skills for smooth co-ordination with various individuals at Group and with Regional Senior management team.
• Participation in the wider Group community by assisting GFR and other regions in the achievement of their objectives.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
• Ensure compliance with all accounting, financial reporting, regulatory reporting and control requirements. Pro-active approach to process improvement
• Improve the level of efficiency and effectiveness by optimum utilization of best practice processes and systems.
• Create strong compliance and control culture over all reporting, with no material issues.
To be successful in the role, you should meet the following requirements:
Experience & Qualifications
• • Bachelor’s Degree
• Member of a professional accounting body e.g. ACA, CPA.
• Subject matter expertise in accounting and financial reporting in a banking environment
• Thorough understanding and practical application of IFRS.
• Proven leadership capability with experience of creating, developing and leading teams
• A growth mind-set focussed on delivering effective and efficient solutions.
• Ability to form effective relationships and influence at the most senior level in the organization.
• Communication and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to articulate the case for risk management and change to a wide range of stakeholders
• Experience of effectively working with external auditors and regulators.
• A proven ability to lead and deliver change.
• Ability to make robust/tough decisions which may be contrary to the business wishes and ability to prioritize competing demands.
• Basic knowledge and understanding of the interaction between IFRS and Regulatory Reporting (including capital and RWAs)
You’ll achieve more at HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment.
We believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. Different ideas and perspectives help us innovate, manage risk and grow the business in a sustainable way. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Issued by The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.
To apply for this job please visit mycareer.hsbc.com.