We deliver impactful global solutions to create a more connected, sustainable world — from intelligence to infrastructure, cybersecurity to space exploration. Our 55,000+ employees across 50 countries work every day, challenging the expectations of today to reinvent the way we’ll all live tomorrow.
Associate Director Transport Planning
Location: Wokingham, England
Category: Planning & Consulting
Job ID: BI 000FDM
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the opportunity
Our Transport Planning team is one of the most successful in the UK & Ireland, with a varied client base and strong pipeline of work, alongside supporting further project teams across the globe.
We are looking for an Associate Director to join our Reading team You will be involved in the technical direction and delivery of a range of transport planning projects including strategy, appraisal, and business case projects, with opportunities to work for various high profile clients across the UK. You will also be responsible for shaping the future direction of a high performing transport planning team, and working closely with our clients.
This role will provide every opportunity for you to make your mark and influence the continuing sustainable growth of Jacobs in the UK. Primary Job Responsibilities will include:
- You will demonstrate the right collaborative behaviours and possess excellent communication skills to ensure you quickly establish strong relationships across our business and with our clients.
- You will help shape the development of the transport planning team in Reading
- You will assist in mentoring team members to help them deliver excellence and achieve their own personal development objectives.
- You will also have the opportunity to support the wider Transport Planning Business and work with other UK clients within your core technical field.
- You will apply excellent knowledge of a range of transport planning principles and techniques to deliver client objectives and you will accurately interpret and communicate complex issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- You will provide technical leadership and act as one of our key client contacts.
- Strong Project Management is essential as you will lead a number of Transport Planning projects and programmes of work.
- Exceptional organisational skills are required to ensure multiple complex projects are managed and delivered well and competing priorities are resourced effectively in a dynamic team environment.
You will also have a role in growing our Transport Planning Business by supporting key sales pursuits and by sustaining excellent relationships with our clients and other internal Business Units.You will have the support of a line manager and our experts to guide your progress and will have on opportunity to share your skills and knowledge by training and supporting our junior staff. You will also be given the ability to pursue relevant business and technical training to support your career development as well as the freedom to grow your network and develop innovative solutions to chase new opportunities.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Degree qualified or equivalent with relevant experience in a senior Transport Planning professional role
- Demonstrable high level of technical competency in a range of transport planning disciplines (e.g. transport modelling, business case development, sustainable transport, strategy formulation, public transport and development planning) and knowledge of wider planning and operational context.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, transport planning standards/guidance (e.g. WebTAG, 5-Stage Business Case Model).
- Demonstrate knowledge of the application of key transport planning software and techniques.
- Demonstrate proven Project Management capability and ability to successfully deliver complex projects and programmes of work in accordance with management systems and governance (e.g. ISO 9001 Quality Management System; risk management, financial/project controls)
- Demonstrate the right behaviours, embracing our Culture of Caring and Beyond Zero, and possess excellent communication (e.g. written, verbal and presentational skills) and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to produce clear, precise and coherent analysis and reports (e.g. Business Cases, Briefing Papers and Technical Reports) for a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work both as part of a multi-disciplinary team as well as possessing the ability to work independently and lead technical aspects/identifying solutions using professional judgement and analytical techniques.
- Ability to provide highly effective support and mentoring to junior colleagues.
- Ability to provide management support including operational and business metrics and general support
Ideally, here’s what you’ll also have:
- Post-graduate qualification (e.g. MSc, Diploma) or equivalent in transport-related discipline, management or Project Management (e.g PRINCE2, APM)
- Membership of a relevant professional institution (e.g. Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation).
- Evidence of Continuous Personal Development in Transport Planning related activity
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.
To apply for this job please visit careers.jacobs.com.